FOCAS is the standard protocol for collecting data from FANUC Controls. FANUC controls are used worldwide by many well-known machine tool brands, including Tsugami, Citizen, STAR, Doosan and Matsuura. Because FANUC controls are so common and utilized by a multitude of machine tool companies, FOCAS is one of the most frequent integration methods employed by MachineMetrics. When a machine is equipped with a modern, FOCAS-enabled FANUC control, it is MachineMetrics' preferred method for data collection.
This article contains the following topics:
What is FANUC FOCAS?
FANUC controls that are 10-15 years old or newer typically support FOCAS. Controls with an "i" series designation may support FOCAS. Most i-Series controls that do not include FOCAS can have it added as an option by FANUC for around $1000/machine. This includes software and hardware (FANUC FAST ethernet card). The control model is sometimes written on the top of the display screen next to the FANUC logo. If not, look on the back of the control or inside the main electrical cabinet. The sticker on the yellow FANUC control box should indicate the control model.
The following FANUC controls come equipped with FOCAS by default:
- 0i-TC confirmed no EMBDD (FOCAS over PCMCIA only)
If you aren’t clear as to which of your FANUC controls may support FOCAS, a MachineMetrics representative can typically inform you once they are provided with the control model and year of manufacture. If you are an existing MachineMetrics customer, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager for clarification. Otherwise, please reach out to email@example.com
Certain control models may include FOCAS but do not include it by default. In this circumstance, a MachineMetrics representative may ask you to run a FOCAS test.
Hardwired or Wireless Connectivity
Whether your shop is connected to MachineMetrics using wireless edge devices in each machine, or hardwired ethernet drops to each machine, integrating via FANUC FOCAS is one of the easiest methods of machine connectivity.
The ethernet drop to your machine should be plugged directly into the FANUC embedded port. The IP address, subnet, and gateway set on your machine should be within range of the IP that is set on the MachineMetrics Gateway to allow communication between the machine and Gateway.
The outermost ethernet port of the MachineMetrics wifi-enabled Edge Device should be connected directly to the FANUC embedded port. The Edge Device's ethernet port IP address must be within range of whatever IP address is set on the Machine's embedded port to allow communication between the two.
*If the FOCAS embedded port is being utilized for another purpose, it is possible to share the port using an unmanaged switch.
How to know if your control interface supports FOCAS
- On the control interface, press the SYSTEM hardkey.
- Scroll using the right arrow softkey until you see ETHPRM, EMBED PORT, or ETHER-BOARD. Depending on the model of your machine’s control, you may see a variety of softkey options to enter networking information.
- If your machine control has a Windows back end, it may be necessary to access the embedded port settings through the “CNC Screen Display” program. Navigate to the Windows back end, and search for this program.
- If you do not see any of these soft key options, your machine does not have FOCAS equipped.
- If you do see ETHPRM, "EMBDD" , "EMBED PORT" or "ETHER BOARD", select it.
- On most controls you may see an option for "FOCAS 2" and "COMMON" - this is where you enter the IP address, Subnet, Gateway, and TCP Port of the embedded port. If you do not see these softkeys, press "Page Down" to find these data fields.
- The IP address entered here must be within the same range as the outermost NIC port of the edge device to which the machine reports FOCAS data.
- Make sure you are entering the IP settings for the correct port! The Common Setting indicates which port is used to communicate FOCAS data. The most common setting is “EMBEDDED“, however ”BOARD“ can also be used:
- IMPORTANT: The IP address set on your machine must be within the same range as the edge device (port 2) which collects data from the machine.
- Your machine may have the embedded ethernet port located behind the HMI (in the control cabinet), or on the NCU board (in the electrical cabinet).
- If the embedded port is not in the control cabinet behind the HMI, it is most likely on the FANUC NCU. Open the main electrical cabinet to locate the NCU embedded port:
If the embedded port is being used for an auxiliary piece of equipment, or to send and receive programs, it is possible to share the port by installing an un-managed ethernet switch. Contact your customer service representative for more details.
Enabling FANUC FOCAS
Important! This particular video depicts a Mori Seiki Machine with a FANUC-based MSX control. The exact steps, and the exact locations of the indicated soft keys, may differ greatly depending on the Control Model, and may even differ by serial number. MachineMetrics is constantly adding to our library of Knowledge Base Articles and tutorial videos. It is recommended that you review the FANUC section of our knowledge base to see if there is a video available for your unique control model. However, If we do not have documentation for your exact FANUC model, in general you should be looking for the softkeys indicated in this video. Unless your control is on a Mori Seiki Machine, there will be no need to 'unlock parameters' or get into 'NCSystem.'
- On the FANUC control, press the SYSTEM hardkey.
- Press the right scroll softkey (under the screen) until you see EMBDD
- Select EMBDD
- Enter your desired IP, Subnet, and Gateway.
- Select FOCAS2. If that option is not available press the PAGE DOWN key until you see FOCAS SETTINGS.
- Set FOCAS port to TCP 8193. UDP should be left blank.
- Select RESTART (or similar) and select EXECUTE. If these options are not available, power cycle the machine.
If all settings are input properly, but the machine still does not 'ping' after reboot:
- Press the SYSTEM hardkey.
- Press the right scroll softkey until you see EMBDD.
- Select EMBDD
- Once in EMBDD press OPRT softkey.
- Look for a softkey labeled "PCMCIA/EMBDD". Press this softkey.
- Press EXECUTE softkey
- Reboot machine
Once you have enabled FANUC FOCAS on your machine, your next and final step is to add your machine to your MachineMetrics Account.