The hardware covered in this article will be used to connect your equipment to MachineMetrics. If you have opted for onsite connectivity services with one of our technicians, it is required that you have these items before the technician arrives (this will be confirmed in your pre-connectivity call prior to the onsite visit.).
To learn more about the hardware needed for the implementation integration of MachineMetrics, visit our Guide to Hardware.
Topics covered in this article:
- TV Display
- Moxa Box
Although we do not sell all hardware items, we do sell select items. To purchase hardware from MachineMetrics, visit our Hardware Store.
Tablets are used by some customers to display the operator dashboard at the machine. Tablets allow the operator to view data and make inputs while at the machine. Although any Android tablet with at least 2GB of RAM, 2GHz processing speed, and 32GB storage will work to a reasonable standard, we recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab A line of products. The majority of our tablet-using customers are on Samsung Galaxy tablets with few issues reported. You will also want to purchase a mount, enclosure, and 10’ charging cable. See below for additional specs and source recommendations:
Please note that the below list of hardware are only a recommendation. Any hardware that meets the provided specs is compatible with MachineMetrics. Any hardware purchased from providers outside of MachineMetrics will not be supported by our internal team.
Any Android tablet with at least 2GB of RAM, 2GHz processing speed, and 32GB storage will work to a reasonable standard
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A8. Samsung’s newest entry-level tablet features a 10.5” screen, 3GB of RAM, a 2GHz processor and 32GB of storage space. Comes with a short (30”) USB-C charging cable and USB power supply.
A heavy-duty magnet is a simple and effective method for attaching your device to a machine cabinet.
- CTA Digital VESA Compatible Heavy-Duty Magnetic Mount. This mount comes with a built-in magnet, is adjustable for different angles & orientations, and is VESA compatible for industry-standard enclosures.
A proper enclosure will protect the screen and may provide other functionalities like listed below.
- Compulocks Galaxy Tab A8 10.5” Wall Mount Enclosure. This high-grade aluminum enclosure is VESA compatible to go with the above magnetic mount. It features a lock to ensure the security of the tablet while also enabling quick access to the device. You also have the option to have all enclosures keyed alike so that they can be accessed with just one set of keys, and they will save the key to your account for future orders.
- Vidabox VESA Tablet Enclosure. This option is milled from a solid piece of resin for durability. VESA compatible with access to the power button via a knockout hole. Comes apart in two pieces to insert the tablet and screws back together. If you don’t like the key accessibility this is another great option.
- Anker USB-C to USB-A 10’ Charging Cable. This cable is made from double-braided nylon for enhanced durability. 10 feet of length should be enough to run through your machine and reach a nearby power source.
MachineMetrics has partnered with General Data to offer pre-built tablet kits to our customers. These kits come with:
- Samsung A8 tablet
- Magnetic mount
- Charging cable
- Acrylic enclosure.
Lead times for these average around 2-3 weeks. Contact General Data directly to place an order for these kits.
General Data Contact Information:
General Data Co
Senior Account Manager
Office 800-733-5252 x2326
We recommend a display to allow for easy visibility on the shop floor thus an appropriate size for a particular facility is an individual choice. Consider the location of the display; shop debris may reduce the visibility and life of the TV.
TV Display Specs
We require the following specifications from the display chosen:
- 1080p for adequate resolution.
- USB 2.0
Note: The TV display selected does not have to be a Smart TV, but it is recommended to purchase one with the capability to open a Chrome browser. The simplest way to do so is to search for one using the Google TV platform. Most major retailers (Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc.) will allow you to sort their TV section by platform to help you select an appropriate TV for your needs with the Google TV platform.
TV Display Extras
If you are not purchasing a TV with the capability to open a Chrome browser, you may need to purchase a PC, PC Stick, or another device that has the capability to open a Chrome browser.
Display Extras Specs
Please ensure the device has the following specifications:
- USB 2.0 ports
- HDMI ports/cable (or another display port to connect to the display)
- This device has multiple USB ports, HDMI, 5G WiFi capabilities and auto-on functionality. As all you need from the device is the ability to hook up to a TV and run a browser, this should be more than enough to do so at an affordable price.
- Peripherals such as keyboard/mouse (recommended)
- This wireless keyboard & trackpad works very well for use with a mounted TV. The flexibility of a wireless keyboard is invaluable and having the built-in trackpad means you don’t need to keep track of a separate mouse as well.
Note: Only one Chrome-capable device will be needed for each TV display. If you plan on using multiple displays, consider the length of the cables and the location of the displays.
TV Display Mounts
The mounting location will determine whether an articulating (full motion) or non-articulating (restricted motion) wall mount is best suited. There is also an option to purchase a ceiling mount if the display(s) will be mounted away from any walls, such as in the middle of the shop. Follow display manufacturers' recommendations on purchasing a compatible mount.
MachineMetrics can provide a configured Moxa Box through our hardware shop. However, they can also be purchased directly from a vendor of your choosing. To do so, use this resource. If purchased outside of MachineMetrics, the MoxaBox will need to be configured following the instructions in this Knowledge Base Article.
If there are any questions or would like to learn more about specific system requirements, please contact us at Support@machinemetrics.com.