This article provides a step-by-step guide to collect data from your OPC-UA enabled machine.
Configurations for collecting data from your OPC-UA enabled Machine
- Understand your server’s location on your network and how/if it can be reached by outside sources.
- Identify the endpoint URL and port information that provides access to browse the OPC-UA server (ex. opc.tcp://10.10.10.10:56000). Be sure that this can be changed, as you’ll want this endpoint address to have an IP address that is on the same subnet as your machine network/Edge Device.
- Browse your server using the tools provided by the manufacturer, or alternatively we recommend UA-Expert or open source opcua-commander command line tool (note: this requires node.js be installed on your system), which can be used to browse any OPC-UA server reachable from your computer.
a) You’ll need to browse for tag (nodeID) information that you want to monitor in MachineMetrics. Use this template to record necessary information regarding the tags and their details.
b) The tags chosen should provide necessary information about the machine’s state and actions. These include execution (whether the machine is running or not), part count, emergency stops, speed and feed rates, axis positions, etc.
machine-state: #<---- This is a naming mechinism for configuration
path: ns=2;s=MachineStates #<---- This is the NodeID
- Match these tags with MachineMetrics data-items that will be mapped to its diagnostics, as shown below.
pmode: #<---- This delineates the diagnostic item in MachineMetrics
value: machine-state #<---- This should be equal to the naming mechinism from the tag section
- Add these tags to the Machine's adapter script through the Machine Settings form for the individual machine as shown below.
Please note, you will need to add the Machine to your company in MachineMetrics before you can configure the data collection method. Learn more about adding Machines and accessing and updating your Machine Settings in this Knowledge Base article.
- After you successfully add your adapter script to your Machine in the Machine Settings form and complete the review and connect process, you will receive this notification that your Machine is connected successfully and reporting data.
Need more help?
If you have trouble connecting, reach out to your Customer Success Manager, or contact email@example.com.