Machine Not Reporting
There are a number of reasons why a machine might stop reporting to MachineMetrics. This article will discuss some common reasons why a machine may stop reporting and the troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve the problem. Some of these may be specific to integration methods.
Topics included in this article:
- Machine Disconnected for Short Periods of Time
- Machine has Stopped Reporting for an Extended Period of Time
- All Machines Not Reporting
Machine Disconnected for Short Periods of Time
From the Machine Tile, if you notice a machine switching between Reporting and Not Reporting (shown below) multiple times, this may be network related. A good indicator of this is seeing small periods of grey (disconnected) on the machine's timeline. Network related interruptions will backfill data once the connection is reestablished, as the Edge device will still be collecting data from the machine.
Troubleshooting Steps: Machine Disconnected for Short Periods of Time
- Check all network cables to ensure they are securely connected and not damaged.
- For a wireless connection, check the proximity of the Edge device to the nearest router/access point as well as any physical or electromagnetic obstructions.
- Check connections with the Edge Management application. If you're unsure how to navigate to this, please refer to our article here.
- Any power loss or surges can contribute to a machine being disconnected if the Labjack or Edge device took a hit. If this has happened, please contact Support@machinemetrics.com for next steps.
Machine has Stopped Reporting for an Extended Period of Time
If the machine has not reported for an extended period of time, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and correct the issue.
Troubleshooting Steps: Machine has Stopped Reporting for an Extended Period of Time
- Have any components of the machine's control been replaced recently? Verify control settings are correct using the articles below depending on the type of control.
- Check the Edge Device power supply. If the edge device loses power or is connected to a breaker that is routinely turned off, this could result in a period of no connectivity/data collection.
- Check the Edge Device network connection both to the machine and MachineMetrics.
- If the machine is integrated with I/O, check the config file to ensure all the data items are entered correctly. For help with this, please reference our Knowledge Base article here.
All Machines Not Reporting
If you find that all of your machines show as not reporting, there is likely another issue. Below, we outline troubleshooting steps according to the type of Edge Device you are using. The image below shows an edge device that is properly configured with an internet connection. Note: The green light on the edge device should be blinking.
Troubleshooting Steps: All Machines Not Reporting
- Standard Edge (1 Edge per Machine): If machines are connected with a wireless (1:1) configuration, check to see if there was a network disruption at the facility. Another helpful resource to check is MachineMetrics status. If MachineMetrics is having an issue this can result in machines showing not reporting. Sign up for updates to stay up to date.
- Edge Pro (Multiple Machines connected to the same Edge Device): If machines are using a single Edge Pro (previously Gateway) for all machines, check the power supply for the Edge Pro to ensure there is no disruption of power or a damaged power cord. Check network connections from the Edge Pro to the network switch (are your cables plugged in securely and not damaged?).
- Virtual Edge: If the machines are using a virtual Edge Device, log in to the computer used to manage the virtual Edge. Select the Windows icon and type in 'services.' Upon opening the services screen, check to see if MachineMetrics services are running. If they are running, right-click the service and select 'restart'. If they are not running, right-click the service and select 'start'.
If these troubleshooting steps don't resolve the issue, please reach out to email@example.com for assistance.