Use this procedure to set up a VM (Virtual Machine) or on-premise server so it can function as a Virtual Edge for MachineMetrics data collection.
- A server or VM running Microsoft Windows.
- either Windows Server 2008 R2 or later, or Windows 7 or later.
- at least 2GB RAM
- at least 6GB free on disk
- .NET Framework 4.0 or 4.x installed (you can let the client-setup check for this, see below)
- Internet access
- local network access to any controls or sensors that it will monitor.
- Login access to the MachineMetrics account that this server is for.
- Verify Correct System Time & Date
If the date or time are off, very odd errors can result.
- Download and run the client-setup software package:
- Note: in the event of a failure you may be taken to an error screen. It is minimally informative - please locate this file:
and send it to MachineMetrics customer support for assistance.
- First screen, System Requirements
- Checks that the platform meets the minimum specs above.
- Checks for access to the internet services we depend on.
- Second screen, Installation - this involves some downloads, be patient.
- If you get the 'Stop long-running script?' alert, be careful to click NO.
- Third screen, Registration - enter your login credentials for MachineMetrics.
- For the Virtual Edge (Gateway) Name, Default is fine if this will be your only Windows gateway.
- Otherwise try to use a distinctive name, for example the building or machine area this Virtual Edge will monitor.
- Fourth screen, Activation Code.
- Note that code, then go to this activation page and follow the instructions:
- Assuming that succeeds, our software on the Virtual Edge/server should now be able to check in, and on the Workcenters page of MachineMetrics you should be able to create new machines and assign them to this new Virtual Edge (gateway) for monitoring.
- Fourth screen: Installation is complete. Virtual Edge (Gateway) is activated.
- This message means this Virtual Edge (gateway) was previously activated and is known to the MachineMetrics system. (Maybe you are re-installing or updating the gateway software?) You can proceed to the Workcenters page to create new machines or edit existing machines.
Please reach out to us at Support@machinemetrics.com.