The Diagnostic Timeline application is a powerful analytical tool that enables users to view, analyze and troubleshoot machine performance based on any diagnostic metrics available on the machine. This article explains how to access and use the functions and capabilities of the Diagnostic Timeline application.
Topics covered in this article
This article contains the following topics:
- Accessing the Diagnostic Timeline
- Diagnostic Timeline Layout and Functions
- Page View Functions
- Metric Display Area
- Diagnostic Metric View Selection
Accessing the Diagnostic Timeline
There are several ways to access the Diagnostic Timeline for a machine, including from the following:
- All Machines page
- Overview page for an individual machine
- Standard Timeline page
The following sections explain how to access the Diagnostic Timeline for a machine from each of these locations, assuming you are already logged in to MachineMetrics.
From the All Machines Page
To access the Diagnostic Timeline from the All Machines page, do the following:
- From the Current Shift Dashboard page, click Machines from the main application menu to open the All Machines page.
- Click the "ellipse" menu (---) associated with the machine you want to view, and select Diagnostic Timeline as highlighted below.
From the Machine Overview Page
To access the Diagnostic Timeline from an individual machine page, do the following:
- Open the All Machines page as described in the preceding section.
- Click on the desired machine to view the Overview page for that machine.
- From the Overview page, click the application menu and select Diagnostic Timeline as highlighted below.
From the Standard Timeline Page
The Standard Timeline page for each machine contains a Go To Diagnostic Timeline link as highlighted below.
Diagnostic Timeline Layout and Functions
The following figure shows the information layout of the Diagnostic Timeline application page with the functional areas identified and highlighted.
The Diagnostic Timeline application page is divided into the following sections:
- Page view functions
- Metric display area
- Metric view selection tools
The following sections present the information layout and functions provided in each of these application page sections.
Page View Functions
The page view functions are described below.
- Machine Menu: Click this menu to select and view the Diagnostic Timeline for a different machine.
- Application Menu: Click this menu to access a different Machines application for the current machine.
- Move: Click the Move arrow buttons ( < / > ) to move the page view forward and back along the timeline. The move function can also be done using the machine cycle status timeline or metric bars.
- Zoom: Some metrics may not display data unless the timeline display range is within a certain zoom level such as less than an hour as shown in the example below.
The Zoom buttons can be used to increase or decrease the timeline display range (the zoom function can also be done using the machine cycle status timeline bar).
- Click the "plus" Zoom button (+) to zoom in (view more detailed data over a shorter time period)
- Click the "minus" Zoom button (-) to zoom out (view a longer time period with less detailed data).
- Display Date/Time: Click the date/time field to open the calendar tool used to set the date and time for the timeline to display. See Setting the Timeline Date/Time Display.
- Go to Standard Timeline: Click this link to open the Standard Timeline application page for the current machine.
Setting the Timeline Date/Time Display
To change the date and time displayed by the timeline, click on the date field below the main menu at the top of the page.
Select your desired date as well as the starting time. Click the Apply button to apply the new date and time range to the timeline.
Metric Display Area
The metric display area of the Diagnostic Timeline application provides the following:
- Machine Cycle Status Timeline
- Diagnostic Metrics
Machine Cycle Status Timeline
The machine cycle status timeline displays at the top of the metric display area. This timeline shows changes in machine cycle status (Active/Inactive/Unavailable) during the selected date and time. Machine cycle status is indicated by color-coded time segment as follows:
- Green/Active: Machine is active and processing parts at this time.
- Blue/Inactive: Machine is idle and not processing parts at this time.
- Grey/Unavailable: Machine is not connected or reporting to MachineMetrics at this time.
When you hover your mouse cursor over a segment of the machine cycle status timeline, hover text will display the status for that segment, time period and duration covered by the segment.
Once diagnostic metrics have been added to the Diagnostic Timeline, graphic indicators of machine performance for those metrics will display below the machine cycle status timeline in the metric display area. Graphic indicators displayed may include:
- Segmented bars indicating status changes or event occurrences
- Performance trend or graph lines
- Data point lines for discrete events such as cycles
- Other indicators as appropriate for the metric
When you hover your mouse cursor over a selected event or segment in a metric timeline, hover text will display that is specific to the machine performance for that metric at that time. Examples of some types of metric indicators and corresponding hover text are shown in the following figure.
See Diagnostic Metric View Selection instructions on selecting and managing the diagnostic metrics available for display in your Diagnostic Timeline.
Using the Status Timeline and Metrics to Zoom or Move the Metric Display
Like the Zoom and Move page view functions, you can use the machine cycle status timeline and metrics to zoom in/out on the timeline and metric data, or move the Diagnostic Timeline metric display forward and back along the timeline.
Zooming Using the Timeline
You can zoom in or out on the metric display data using machine cycle status timeline as follows:
- Hover your mouse over any area of the machine cycle status timeline.
- Do the following depending on the system you are using:
- PC Mouse: Roll the scroll wheel up to expand the timeline, and back to compress it.
- Touch Pad/Screen or Mac Mouse: Use the two-finger spread method to expand the timeline, and the pinch method to compress it.
Moving the Display Using the Timeline or Metrics
To move forward or back along the timeline, you can click on the machine cycle status timeline or on the indicator bar for any metric currently displayed and drag left or right to the desired time.
Diagnostic Metric View Selection
When a user first views the Diagnostic Timeline application page, the metric display area will appear blank with the exception of the machine cycle status timeline as shown below.
Adding Metrics to the Diagnostic Timeline
The machine diagnostic metrics that are available for selection and display in the Diagnostic Timeline application will depend on the machine integration with MachineMetrics in your environment. Older machines with less robust data systems will have fewer metrics from which to select and display than newer machines operating in data-driven manufacturing environments.
IMPORTANT! Please note that changes saved to the Diagnostic Timeline metrics are system-wide and will display for all MachineMetrics users in your organization.
To add machine diagnostic metrics to the Diagnostic Timeline display, do the following:
- Click the Add Metric button at the bottom of the page (highlighted above) to open the dialog with the available diagnostic metrics for the machine.
- Find the metric you want to add. To do this, you can use the scroll bar on the right of the dialog or enter text in the search field at the top. Entering text in the search field will immediately filter the metrics and display only those metrics with names that contain the text you entered.
- Click the metric you want to add. The metric dialog will close and add the diagnostic metric to the timeline.
- Repeat the preceding steps to add all the diagnostic metrics you want to add.
- Once all metrics are added, you can use the up and down "arrow" buttons to rearrange the order of the metrics displayed, or click the X button to remove a metric that you do not need.
- When you have all the metrics you want added in the desired order, click the Save View button.
- The top right of the application page will display whether the view was saved successfully.
Using the Live Mode for the Diagnostic Timeline
The Diagnostic Timeline Live Mode allows you to see the diagnostic metric data as it is continuously generated by the machine in the current moment. Click the Live Mode button at the bottom of the Diagnostic Timeline application page to activate Live Mode and click the button again to return to static data display mode.