Important! If you received your Edge Device(s) before December 2019, this article is the best resource for managing their network settings, registration, and configuration. If you received your Edge Device after December 2019, then you should not use the Mobile Application to configure your Edge. Please instead refer to our Edge Management Article.
If you did not provide MachineMetrics with your Network Credentials and IP Address prior to your Edge Device being shipped, you will need to perform the additional step of configuring your Edge Device. Configuring the network settings on your Edge Device allows it to gain access to the appropriate network or to the machine control. This step is performed using the MachineMetrics Mobile Application.
This article contains the following topics:
- Video Tutorial: Wired Edge Configuration
- Downloading The MachineMetrics Mobile Application
- Locating Your Edge Device
- Edge Device Registration
- Ethernet Configuration
The video below provides a detailed walkthrough on how to register and configure your Wired Edge Device. Important! While the video details both registration and configuration, in most cases Edge Devices are assigned to a customer company prior to shipping - even when MachineMetrics lacks the Network Credentials and IP addresses to perform the configuration. If your Edge Device has been pre-registered, it will automatically skip the 'choose a company' step detailed in the video. This is what should happen and is not cause for concern.
Visit this article for a list of our Hardware Kit and Connection Schematics.
Video Tutorial: Wired Edge Configuration
Locating your Edge Device
- Tap "Start Scanning" to find any provisioned Edge devices in range.
- If the scan does not discover any device, double check that your Edge Device is turned on. If the mobile app is still not locating your edge device, please contact machinemetrics support.
- Once the app discovers any Edge Devices within range, it will display the device’s serial number. The number displayed on the app is identical to the serial number printed on the underside of the Edge Device.
- Tap the serial number on the screen to proceed with the configuration.
Edge Device Registration
After selecting your Edge Device, the next screen gives you the option to set the name of the Edge Device as it will display on the MachineMetrics Browser Application. We recommend that the name be set to the serial number printed on the underside of the device.
- Enter the name of your edge device as you would prefer it to be displayed.
- Tap on Choose a Company.
- Your company name will appear on the next screen.
- Click on your company name to complete your Edge Device Registration.
- Once both the device’s name and company have been set, tap on “Continue.” The next screen will have options to configure the using the two ethernet ports or the wireless settings.
Please note: this article details how to configure Edge Devices with an ethernet connection. Configuring an Edge Device with a WiFi connection is covered in this article.
When configuring an edge device via ethernet you will need to configure either one or both of these ports depending on your integration. Please work with your IT department to determine your preferred settings and configurations.
- Ethernet 1 refers to the ethernet port on the inside of the device, whereas Ethernet 2 will refer to the outer port.
- Ethernet 1 should be used to connect to the corporate network and to the internet.
- Ethernet 2 should be used to connect directly to a machine.
Configuring Ethernet 1 via DHCP
MachineMetrics edge devices all ship with DHCP set as their default. If your network is set to DHCP at your site, Ethernet 1 will automatically configure the moment it is connected.
If your IT department prefers that you use static IPs however, please follow the instructions below.
Configuring Ethernet 1 Manually
- Tap on Configure IP Manually
- Tap on IP Address and specify the desired static IP provided by your IT department.
- The onsite IP range, subnet mask, and router must be determined before attempting to configure any of the following settings. Your IT department will be able to provide you with this information.
- Once you’ve gathered this information, manually enter your subnet mask and router. The MAC address will already be filled in. The MAC Address is useful when communicating to the onsite IT department, it allows the network to identify the Edge Device when it connects, and grants it access. Each port will have a unique MAC Address.
- Once completed, hit ‘apply’.
Configuring Ethernet 2
When configuring the Edge to communicate directly with a machine via Ethernet 2, all that is needed is a static IP and subnet mask.This too can be provided by your IT department.
Once you have configured your edge device, you can now proceed to the next step: enabling the Data Collection Method that was determined to be the optimal approach for your Machine.
- If you are using FANUC FOCAS, your next step will be to enable FOCAS on your FANUC control.
- If you are using MTConnect, your next step will be to enable MTConnect on your control.
- If you are using an I/O module, your next step will be you install your I/O Module.
- If you are connecting a Citizen-Cincom Machine click here.
- If you are uncertain which data collection method you are meant to set up, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager, or contact email@example.com.
If you have any questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.