Important! If you received your Edge Device(s) before December 2019, this article is the best resource for managing their network settings, registration, and configuration. If you received your Edge Device after December 2019, then you should not use the Mobile Application to configure your Edge. Please instead refer to our Edge Management Article.
If you did not provide MachineMetrics with your Wifi Credential and IP Addresses prior to your Wireless Edge Device(s) being shipped, you will need to perform the additional step of configuring your edge device. Configuring the network settings on your Edge Device allows it to gain access to the appropriate network as well as to the machine control. This step is performed using the MachineMetrics Mobile Application.
This article contains the following topics:
- Video Tutorial: Wireless Edge Configuration
- Downloading The MachineMetrics Mobile Application
- Locating Your Edge Device
- Edge Device Registration
- Choosing a Wireless Network
- Next Steps
The video below provides a detailed walkthrough on how to register and configure your Wireless Edge Device. Important! While the video details both registration and configuration, in most cases Edge Devices are assigned to a customer company prior to shipping - even when MachineMetrics lacks the Wifi Credentials and IP addresses to perform the configuration. If your Edge Device has been pre-registered, it will automatically skip the 'choose a company' step detailed in the video. This is what should happen and is now cause for concern.
Video Tutorial: Wireless Edge Configuration
Downloading the MachineMetrics Mobile Application
- As a first step, you will need to download the MachineMetrics Edge Setup Application from the App Store. This requires an iOS device, such as an iPhone or an iPad. Android devices will be supported in the near future. The app can be found by typing “MachineMetrics” or “Edge Devices Setup” in the search field.
- Once you have located it, tap the ‘get button’ to download and install the application.
- Once the app has fully downloaded, click on the icon to open it.
- Login to the mobile application using your MachineMetrics credentials.
Locating Your Edge Device
The Edge Device Setup app scans for Edge devices using bluetooth, so be sure that bluetooth capabilities are turned on before scanning for devices. Since the app uses bluetooth to connect to the Edge Device, it is not necessary for an edge device to be connected directly into an ethernet port, it only needs to be powered on.
- Tap "Start Scanning" to find any provisioned Edge devices in range.
- If the scan does not discover any device, double check that your Edge Device is turned on. If the mobile app is still not locating your edge device, please contact machinemetrics support.
- Once the app discovers any Edge Devices within range, it will display the device’s serial number. The number displayed on the app is identical to the serial number printed on the underside of the Edge Device.
- Tap the serial number on the screen to proceed with the configuration.
Edge Device Registration
After selecting your Edge Device, the next screen gives you the option to set the name of the edge device as it will display on the MachineMetrics Browser Application. We recommend that the name be set to the serial number printed on the underside of the device.
- Enter the name of your edge device as you would prefer it to be displayed.
- Tap on Choose a Company*.
- Your company name will appear on the next screen.
- Click on your company name to complete your Edge Device Registration.
*If 'Choose a Company' does not display as an option, this just means MachineMetrics pre-registered your device prior to shipping. There is no need for concern and you will automatically be asked to select a wireless network.
Choosing a Wireless Network
Once you select your company, you will be redirected back to the 'Device Settings' screen.
- Select the Configure Wireless option. Important! This article covers how to register an Edge Device with a wireless connection. If your edge devices are connected via ethernet, please reference our article on Wired Edge Device Configuration.
- You will see a list of available WiFi networks. Your preferred wireless network should appear listed. Important! If you don't see your preferred network listed, confirm that your preferred network is within range of your edge device. You can do so by seeing if the network is discoverable on another device, such as a cell phone. If the network is available on another device, please confirm that your edge device's antennae are securely connected. Of your wireless network still is not appearing in the application's found networks, consider using antenna extension cables to place the antennae at a more suitable location.
- Select your preferred wireless network.
- Once the network is selected, enter your case-sensitive Wireless credentials and tap the Join Network button.
- If you have entered the proper credentials, you will see a screen which reads ‘success.’ Tap the Done button to complete your configuration.
Once you have configured your edge device, you can now proceed to the next step: enabling the Data Collection Method that was determined to be the optimal approach for your Machine.
- If you are using FANUC FOCAS, your next step will be to enable FOCAS on your FANUC control.
- If you are using MTConnect, your next step will be to enable MTConnect on your control.
- If you are using an I/O module, your next step will be you install your I/O Module.
- If you are connecting a Citizen-Cincom Machine click here.
- If you are uncertain which data collection method you are meant to set up, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager, or contact email@example.com.