This article reviews common issues customers experience with tablets and the recommended steps to diagnose and resolve them. In addition, this article lists common issues that may appear to be tablet-related but are actually issues that need to be addressed elsewhere.
This article contains the following subjects:
- Common Tablet Issues
- Non-Tablet Issues
- Troubleshooting Steps
Common Tablet Issues
The following section lists out the most frequent issues customers report related to tablets. Each issue will contain a link to the steps that should be taken to resolve the issue.
If your tablet is displaying a button that says "Authorize", take a look at the following article: How Do I Authorize a tablet?
No Internet Connection
If your tablet is not currently connected to your wireless internet, please review the steps listed in the following article: How Do I Connect My Tablet to the Internet?
Tablet is Frozen
If your tablet screen appears to be completely frozen and the touchscreen is completely unresponsive, you will have to initiate a hard restart.
Soft Keys Unresponsive
If the on-screen soft keys are no longer working, you will have to initiate a soft restart.
If the MachineMetrics application itself appears unresponsive, but the touch screen and the rest of the tablet appears to be working fine, start your troubleshooting by refreshing the tablet.
System Update Notification
If your tablet is prompting you for a system update, please perform the update and reference the rest of this article if you encounter any issues.
Certain issues that may present themselves within the MachineMetrics tablet may not be directly related to the tablet's functionality at all. The following it list of common issues that customers encounter through a tablet, but aren't related to tablet functionality and need to be resolved elsewhere. When available, we have linked to the appropriate knowledge base articles to address these issues.
Grey Tablet Interface
If your tablet interface is entirely grey, this indicates one of two things:
- If the dot in the upper right hand corner of the tablet interface is also grey, this means the tablet's associated machine is not reporting. You will need to troubleshoot machine connectivity rather than troubleshoot the tablet.
- If the dot in the upper right hand corner is any color other than grey, then your machine connectivity is fine and the reason your tablet interface is grey is because there is currently no job running on the tablet's associated machine. Please bring this to the attention of the individual in charge of MachineMetrics at your organization - possibly your production or shift manager - or contact your dedicated Customer Success Manager.
Parts Not Counted
If the tablet is not displaying an accurate part count, make sure that the screen is not frozen and that everything else appears to be working correctly. If everything is functioning properly except for the part count, this may indicate an issue related to your machine integration. Please reach out to your dedicated Customer Success Manager or contact email@example.com.
Utilization Not Increasing
If the utilization rate display on the tablet appears to be completely static, make sure that the screen is not frozen and that everything else appear to be working correctly. If everything is functioning properly except for the displayed utilization, this may indicate an issue related to your machine integration. Please reach out to your dedicated Customer Success Manager or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Downtime Not Listed
If you attempt to categorize a downtime event, and the appropriate category does not appear listed as an option, this may be related to your current settings on your Machine Settings page. Certain downtime categories may only be available to specific machine groups. Please review the Machine Settings Article. If this proves to be this issue, then someone can adjust the available downtime categories for this machine by adjusting your account preferences on the Machine Settings page.
If the downtime category does not appear available for any machine, it may simply not exist. New Downtime Categories can be created from within the System Settings page.
Can't Start Job
If you are unable to find, select, and start a job from the tablet, it's unlikely this issue is related to the tablet itself. One of two issues may be the cause:
- The job you are searching for is not available in the MachineMetrics system, having never been created or imported. Please contact the Admin in charge of MachineMetrics at your organization, and ask them to verify that the job you are trying to run is in fact available.
- Job auto-dispatch is enabled on the machine assigned to the tablet in question. If auto-dispatched is enabled on this machine, you cannot manually start and stop jobs.
Most issues directly related to tablets can be resolved through refreshing the tablet, or through either a hard or soft restart. Unless instructed otherwise, Customers should begin by refreshing their tablet before moving onto a soft restart, followed by a hard restart.
Step 1: Refresh Your Tablet
Refreshing a tablet can resolve issues such as slow performance or the MachineMetrics application being unresponsive.
- Swipe your finger down from the top right of the tablet screen towards the bottom right
- From the menu bar that appears, tap the MachineMetrics logo. The screen will turn white, refresh, then return you to the operator tablet interface
Refresh your tablet from the Web App
If aren't currently on your shop floor or your tablet is not nearby, you can alternatively initiate a refresh from directly within your MachineMetrics Account.
- From your MachineMetrics account, Click the Settings module menu item in MachineMetrics
- Select Tablets form the application pull-down menu
- Choose the machine with which the tablet is associated
- In the tablet dialog, select the refresh button and then click the save changes.
If issues are still occurring after refreshing your tablet, or if you can't perform these steps due to a frozen screen or the on-screen soft keys no longer working, please proceed to initiating a Soft Restart.
Step 2: Initiate a Soft Restart
- Tap 4 times on the screen and enter the passcode "1234." If that passcode doesn't work, try "0000."
- This will take the tablet out of the MachineMetrics app. Press and hold the power button on the side of the tablet until a screen asking to "Power Off" or "Restart" comes up.
- Press "Restart" and allow the tablet to restart itself.
If the on-screen keypad still is not functioning properly once the tablet has restarted, proceed to the following steps:
- Get out of the MachineMetrics app again by tapping the screen 4 times on the screen and entering the passcode "1234." If that pass code doesn't work ,try "0000."
- In the Settings page, select the gear icon in the top right corner.
- . Select General Management
- Select Language and input
- Select On-screen Keyboard
- Select Samsung Keyboard
- Select Reset to Default
- Select Reset
If issues are still occurring after after a soft restart, please proceed to initiating a Hard Restart.
Step 3: Initiate a Hard Restart
To manually restart your device, press and hold the volume down button for 5 seconds, then (while still holding the volume button) press and hold the power button until the device begins the reboot process. See the image below to ensure you're using the correct buttons.
If after having completed all of these steps, your tablet is still not functioning properly, please contact email@example.com.